The Snowball Method of Paying Off Debt: How to Make Progress Fast


If you’re sitting there staring down a messy pile of debt, a credit card or three, maybe a personal loan, and a car payment lurking in the background and feeling that familiar knot tighten in your stomach, I want you to know something: I’ve been exactly where you are. 

There was a stretch of my life where I genuinely avoided opening my banking app. Not out of laziness, but out of dread. That number at the top of the screen had a way of ruining my whole mood, so I just… didn’t look. Out of sight, out of mind, except it was never really out of mind. The worst part was feeling like I was doing everything right and getting nowhere. I’d scrape together a payment on one card, feel briefly virtuous about it, and then life would happen: a car repair, an unexpected bill, a week where groceries cost more than they should, and I’d end up putting something on a different card just to stay afloat. Two steps forward, one and a half steps back, over and over again. 

It was exhausting in a way that’s hard to explain to someone who hasn’t lived it. And underneath the exhaustion was this low hum of embarrassment, like I should have figured this out by now. That’s what eventually led me to the snowball method. It’s not a perfect system; the math nerds of the internet will be quick to tell you that much. But perfection wasn’t what I needed. What I needed was a win.

Something small and real that proved I could actually move the needle. Because my problem was never that I wasn’t smart enough to manage money. It was that I’d run out of momentum, and the snowball method, it turns out, is really good at giving that back to you.​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

What Is the Snowball Method?

The snowball method is a simple debt repayment strategy:

  • You list all your debts from smallest balance to largest.
  • You make minimum payments on every debt except the smallest.
  • You put any extra money toward the smallest debt until it’s gone.
  • Then you move on to the next smallest debt and repeat the process.

Picture a snowball rolling downhill. It starts small, but as it rolls, it grows bigger and gains speed.

Each debt you eliminate frees up more money to attack the next one.

When I first tried this method, my smallest debt was a store credit card with a few hundred dollars on it.

It wasn’t my highest interest rate. It wasn’t my biggest problem. But it was manageable. And that mattered.

Why the Snowball Method Works

- Quick Wins Build Motivation

The first time I completely paid off that small card, something shifted in me. It wasn’t life-changing money.

But seeing a zero balance felt powerful.
For the first time, I felt like I was making progress instead of just treading water.
That quick win gave me motivation to keep going. And motivation, when it comes to debt payoff, is everything.
Simple and Easy to Stick I’ve read about the avalanche method, where you pay off the highest
interest rate first, and mathematically, it makes sense. But emotionally, it didn’t work for me.
My highest-interest debt also had one of the largest balances. If I had started there,
I would’ve been paying on it for months without seeing much visible progress.
The snowball method is straightforward. No complicated calculations. Just smallest to largest.
That simplicity made it easier for me to stay consistent. Psychology Over Perfection
Debt isn’t just a math problem. It’s emotional. There’s guilt, stress, and sometimes shame attached to it.
Small wins reduce that emotional weight. Every balance you eliminate builds confidence.

And confidence changes behavior.

How to Start Using the Snowball Method

Step 1: List Your Debts

Write down every single debt you owe. Credit cards. Personal loans. Store cards. Car loans. Everything.
Order them from smallest balance to largest. Ignore interest rates for now. The focus here is momentum.
When I did this, seeing everything in one place was uncomfortable but also clarifying.

It turned a vague cloud of stress into a clear plan.

Step 2: Pay Minimums on the Rest

Make minimum payments on all your debts to stay current and avoid penalties.

Step 3: Attack the Smallest Debt

Take every extra dollar you can find and throw it at the smallest balance.
For me, that meant cutting back temporarily on dining out and selling a few things I didn’t use.
Every extra payment, even small ones, helped chip away at it faster.

Step 4: Celebrate the Win

When that first debt is gone, don’t just move on like it’s nothing. Acknowledge it.

I remember refreshing my account and seeing a zero balance. It felt like proof that I could actually do this.

Step 5: Roll It Forward

Now take the amount you were paying on that first debt (minimum plus extra) and

Add it to the payment for the next smallest debt.

This is where the snowball grows.

Each paid-off debt increases the amount you can put toward the next one.

Tips to Make It Even More Effective

  • Automate payments so you never miss due dates.
  • Cut unnecessary spending temporarily to speed things up.
  • Track your progress visually; a chart, checklist, or app can make it feel tangible.
  • Stay consistent, even if progress feels slow some months.

I kept a simple list on my phone and crossed off debts as they disappeared.

It sounds small, but that visual progress kept me going.

Snowball vs. Avalanche

The avalanche method, paying the highest interest first, can save more money long-term.
And for some people, that’s motivating enough. But if you need emotional wins to stay committed, 
The snowball method often works better.
Sticking with a slightly less “perfect” plan is better than quitting a mathematically ideal one.

Why It Might Be Right for You

The snowball method is especially helpful if:

  • You feel overwhelmed by multiple small debts.
  • You need quick progress to stay motivated.
  • You’ve struggled to stick to strict financial plans before.

It’s simple. It’s actionable. And it builds momentum fast.

Conclusion

Let’s be clear: the snowball method isn’t some financial hack that makes debt vanish. It’s not going to transform your bank account overnight, and it won’t always be the mathematically “optimal” way to pay things off. But math isn’t always the point. What the snowball method does and does really well is rebuild your belief that getting out of debt is actually possible for you.

Because if you’ve been carrying debt for a while, that quiet voice that says this is just how it is can get pretty loud. Paying off even a small balance shuts that voice up a little. It proves something to yourself that a spreadsheet never could: that you’re capable of change, that you’re not permanently stuck, and that the number can go down. So start with the smallest debt on your list. 

Not because it’s the smartest move on paper, but because that first win matters more than people give it credit for. Feel it. Let it mean something. Then take that energy and point it at the next one. That’s the whole idea; each paid-off balance doesn’t just free up money, it builds momentum. And momentum, it turns out, is one of the most underrated forces in personal finance. 

Watching your debts disappear one by one, even slowly, even imperfectly ,that's the kind of progress that keeps you going when the process gets hard. And trust me, that feeling is absolutely worth working for.​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

I have designed a workbook to help you on your budgeting journey. Grab it here. 


The Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Budgeting

​ Simple Strategies to Take Control of Your Money and Build Financial Freedom Budgeting isn’t about saying no to everything you enjoy. It’s...