If you’re serious about getting out of debt and you want to save the most money possible while doing it, the avalanche method might be the smartest strategy for you.
I’ll be honest: when I first started paying off debt, I wasn’t thinking about interest rates. I just wanted the balances gone. But once I actually looked at how much interest I was paying every month, it changed everything.
That’s when I discovered the avalanche method.
Unlike other debt payoff strategies that focus mostly on motivation, the avalanche method is all about math and efficiency. And if you stick with it, it works.
Let’s break it down in a simple, no-stress way.
What Is the Avalanche Method?
The avalanche method is a debt payoff strategy where you focus on paying off the debt with the highest interest rate first, regardless of the balance.
You continue making minimum payments on all your other debts. But any extra money you can put toward debt goes to the one charging you the most interest.
Once that highest-interest debt is gone, you move to the next highest interest rate.
And then the next.
Over time, your payments build momentum, like a snowball rolling downhill, but with a math advantage on your side.
Why the Avalanche Method Works
You Pay Less Interest Overall
High-interest debt is expensive. Credit cards with rates over 20%? They quietly drain your money every single month.
Before I understood interest, I thought my $5,000 credit card balance was shrinking steadily. But when I checked my statements closely, I realized a big chunk of my payment was going toward interest, not the balance.
By attacking the highest-interest debt first, you reduce how much interest piles up over time. That means more of your money goes toward the actual principal.
And that saves you money. Sometimes a lot of it.
It Gets You Out of Debt Faster
When less money is wasted on interest, more goes toward reducing what you owe.
It may not always feel fast in the beginning, especially if your highest-interest debt has a large balance, but mathematically, it’s the most efficient route.
It’s Logical and structured.
If you’re someone who likes clear strategies and numbers, the avalanche method makes sense.
There’s no guessing. No emotional decision-making. Just a straightforward order based on interest rates.
How to Use the Avalanche Method Step-by-Step
When I finally committed to this method, I sat down with all my statements and did the following:
Step 1: List All Your Debts
Write down:
- The balance
- The minimum payment
- The interest rate
Be honest. This part can feel uncomfortable, but clarity is powerful.
Step 2: Rank Them by Interest Rate
Ignore the balances for now.
Put the highest interest rate at the top of your list. That’s your first target.
Step 3: Pay Minimums on Everything
Never skip minimum payments. Late fees and credit damage will only make things worse.
Your goal is to stay current while focusing extra energy on one debt at a time.
Step 4: Attack the Highest-Interest Debt
Take every extra dollar in your budget and throw it at the highest-rate balance.
Tax refund? Extra shift? Side hustle income? It goes there.
This is where budgeting becomes crucial. Without extra money allocated toward debt, progress will feel slow.
Step 5: Roll Payments Forward
Once the first debt is paid off, take the full payment you were making on it (minimum plus extra) and apply it to the next highest-interest debt.
This is where momentum builds.
Each time a balance disappears, the amount you can throw at the next one grows larger.
A Simple Example
Let’s say you have:
- Credit Card A: 22% interest
- Credit Card B: 17% interest
- Personal Loan: 9% interest
Even if Credit Card B has a smaller balance, you’d focus on Credit Card A first because it’s costing you more in interest.
Once Card A is gone, you move to Card B. Then finally the personal loan.
It’s not about which debt looks smallest; it’s about which debt is the most expensive.
Avalanche vs. Snowball: Which Is Better?
You may have heard of the snowball method, which focuses on paying off the smallest balances first for quick emotional wins.
Here’s the difference:
Avalanche Method
- Saves more money overall
- Pays off debt more efficiently
- May feel slower at the beginning
Snowball Method
- Focuses on smallest balances first
- Creates quicker emotional victories
- May cost more in interest long-term
I’ve tried both. The snowball method gave me quick wins, which felt great. But once I understood how much interest I could save with the avalanche method, I switched and stuck with it.
The truth? The best method is the one you’ll actually follow consistently.
Who the Avalanche Method Is Best For
This method works especially well for:
- People motivated by logic and numbers
- Anyone carrying high-interest credit card debt
- Those who want the most cost-effective payoff plan
- Budgeters who already have some consistency
If you’re focused on efficiency and long-term savings, the avalanche method is hard to beat.
Common Mistakes to Avoid
When using this strategy, watch out for:
- Switching payoff methods too often
- Not budgeting extra money toward debt
- Ignoring the need for a small emergency fund
- Getting discouraged if progress feels slow early on
I made the mistake of throwing everything at debt without keeping a small emergency cushion. One unexpected expense sent me right back to using credit.
Balance matters.
Conclusion
The avalanche method doesn't promise quick wins or emotional momentum.
It promises something with better efficiency.
While other debt payoff strategies play to your feelings, the avalanche method plays to the math. It targets your highest-interest debt first, which means every extra dollar you put in does the most possible damage to what you owe. No shortcuts, no rearranging debt for the psychological boost. Just a clear, strategic approach that costs you the least and gets you out the fastest.
It's not the most exciting method. There are no dramatic early payoffs to celebrate, no quick victories to keep you motivated in the early months. What it requires is something harder and more valuable: the discipline to trust the process even when progress feels slow.
But here's what that discipline buys you. Every high-interest balance that disappears takes a real, compounding cost out of your financial life. The relief that comes with that isn't just emotional; it's mathematical. Money that was quietly bleeding out in interest every month stays in your pocket instead. And that changes things faster than most people expect once the momentum builds.
Debt freedom was never about finding a shortcut. It's about choosing the right system, understanding why it works, and sticking with it long enough to let the results compound in your favor.
The avalanche method is that system for the people who want to play it smart, stay the course, and come out the other side having paid as little as possible to get there.
I have designed a workbook to help you on your budgeting journey. Grab it here.